And All The Rest...

Monday, March 14, 2011

When the hipster contemplates selfishness..

When I stumbled upon Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivisim it was a philosophy I struggled to Understand. ["Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life." - Ayn Rand] To live for yourself and no one else? This, I hate to admit ,seemed like an appealing way of life. No heart break due to another no discomfort of your own. To focus only on ones self with complete disregard for humanity... With sudden realisation, a thud in my heart, the appeal slipped away with scales on my eyes and I knew deep in my heart that I found this sickening. A favorite comedian of mine recently said ["I'm no expert. Hell, I don't know what I'm doing with my life half the time. However, in the emails that I receive from advice seeking readers around the world, I recognize one constant: Inertia. One of the hardest things of all to do is alter your routine or dig yourself out of a rut. All I can recommend is that you spend one day being selfish. F*** what your friends or your boss or your parents say and just do what you want to do. I think you'll find out that looking out for number one is quite liberating. You can get allot done when you only care about yourself. Screw numbers two and up. You'll deal with them tomorrow." - Aaron Karo Ruminations # 187] That's hard logic to argue you with also. I think there is a line. As humble human beings I believe the only way to achieve peace is to be as selfless as possible. However, there is a time to look out for yourself. The world has a way of slipping out from under us. Its hard to find our bearings when we slam into that pavement, but doing the right thing is just that simple, right. Your heart will battle and your reason will crumble but in the end we all know what is truly the right thing to do. [Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility value others above yourself"] We're all broken people to some account but I believe the little broken pieces of all of us will make a beautiful technicolor stain glass world of no comparison. We just have to let go of ourselves a little to fit in place. ["Let us be the dream that dreamers dream" - Langston Hughes]

No comments:

Post a Comment